The Diver Facts
- Jacques Cousteau designed the modern day diving equipment in 1943
- There are now over 23 million divers worldwide
- and approximately 1 million new divers are certified annually
- PADI, one of the leading scuba certifying organisations, offer courses in over 200 countries worldwide
- PADI are not the only dive organistation out there; SSI, BSAC, TDI and RAID also train new divers! (along with loads of others!
- Although there is a swim test included in beginner dive courses, many dive centres will state you don't need to know how to swim to become a diver
- It is possible to become a certified scuba diver, allowed to dive anywhere in the world on your own in as little as 3 days!
- 97% of all the water on our planet is in the oceans
- And the oceans make up 71% of our planet's surface
- About 1% of that 71% is made up by coral reefs
- But amazingly, 25% of all marine life can be found there
- That is 25% of at least 226,408 marine species, but potentially as many as 25million
- Roughly 500 million people depend on coral reefs for food and their livelihoods globally
- That's more than 7 times the population of the UK that rely on reefs!
- Coral is an animal that often is found growing in colonies, where hundreds or even thousands of individuals live together